Friday, December 9, 2011

The Sleepover

We did it!  I am plopped on the couch, exhausted following an evening with us manning the fort in order for my daughter and her hubby to attend a holiday party. Things kind of went on schedule. Well, we were maybe just five hours behind schedule.

Bob decided to run out and purchase some “healthy” deep fried KFC rather than partake in the planned menu. That would be halfway acceptable if we weren’t already almost an hour late for suppertime. Now adults can handle a delayed meal within reason, but toddlers of just two and four kind of revolt against such absurdity. Even with Bob getting lost and late, all four walls were still standing when he got home.

We started our sleepover movie at their usual bedtime. It took awhile to all get in jammies and comfortably settled with blankies and pillows. Teddy had picked The Incredibles. Bob’s body is not accustomed to holding squirming children let alone being used as a jungle gym. My out-of-shape body revolted picking up their relatively small frames approximately 729 times each. The movie did not hold the interest for my Ollie, but climbing on Bob after terrorizing their small dog proved enjoyable. Teddy watched half-heartedly, more interested in his new Inno Tab.

Their parents should be home any second, and the kids are all settled in their beds. They are wide-awake but at least in their bedroom. I can hear Ollie’s pleading calls for “Poppy” while Woody’s voice loudly states directions for Teddy as he tries to master his new tech game. Bob is settled in his bed after gulping some water with his pain pills. The boys are wide-awake, but do I get points for having my husband snoring away? I sit smiling on the couch, feeling content and proud. I would not trade any second of my day.

The Christmas tree is adorned with small white lights. The number of homemade ornaments from the youngsters is expanding. You can see how my Teddy’s coloring has improved since last year’s Santa. Stockings hang to my right with dreams of Santa coming to fill them to the brim. An Elf on the Shelf watches over me, almost ready to head to the North Pole to report good behavior to Santa. I can hear soft lullabies attempting to encourage sleep while the sound of “Pa Pa” still call for some love. This is the feeling of family. This is my supposed legacy. This is what takes away my pain, but makes me slower to stand. The beginnings of Christmas memories and traditions can be felt in this home. It’s filled with Santa wishes and bright red Rudolph noses, but the baby Jesus lays in the manger. The peace that passes understanding resides in this Connecticut home. Life is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
     -  My body is sore and you can hear the creaking of my bones but the love of Christmas comforts any pain. I just picture two smiling faces and I know that life is very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment