Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Laughter, Cardboard Boxes and Ice Cream

Life is busy with the creativity of toddlers. It’s amazing to see the wheels in their beloved heads turn when presented with a big, brown box and time to create. I played with them as we soared on an airplane, traveled to my home, and cruised on a boat. My husband had the idea of getting the kids inside and then riding down the stairs. The kids loved it, however Stephanie quickly disassembled the box and took it out to the recycle bin. I don’t know who was more disappointed: Bob or the kids?

I’m still rereading and then reading again The Snowmen. It’s a favorite book for both of my grandsons. Snowmen pop out of the pages in a charming tale of their nighttime adventures. Ollie immediately brings over the Peek a Boo book next. We have the sequence down. My lap is frequently filled with tiny tooshes during the day, and I love every minute of it.

So far, we have had the birthday party for both youngsters and a private family celebration on Ollie’s actual big day. Teddy turns four tomorrow, so the celebration continues.  So far, we have gone to a christening of a submarine, attended an Advent party at church, and watched a Parade of Lights. The weather has been wet a few days but the temperature has been closer to the fall.

We’ve stayed a week with another seven days to go. My son-in-law has not kicked us out so far, but his work schedule doesn’t allow him home for long. He always puts in at least a thirteen-hour day. Today he was at work by 4:00 AM and will come home tomorrow night at 5:00 PM. His day off for the MONTH was on the 4th for the boys’ birthday party. Let’s just say his nighttime adventures don’t last long when he confronts their comfortable couch.

I’m trying to be healthy (don’t laugh) and avoid the two yummy cakes made in celebration of birthdays and the yummy cookies for after quiet time. I was doing great until we went out to eat for Ollie’s birthday. We were hurrying to see the parade and my guys each left at least a half their ice cream sandwiches.  I looked up to Stephanie’s jaw on the floor and Chris’ eyes like deer eyes as I stuffed half in my mouth. I think that vetoed the effects of grilled shrimp on a salad. Oops!

As the calendar pages quickly turn, I’m impressed by the creativity and knowledge shown by my boys. I have laughed more in one week than I do during six months at home. That freedom helps the aches and pains while making me feel closer to God’s presence here on Earth. Life is so good.

God Uses Chronic Pain to Show that Life is Good:
     -  How can you not laugh when two boys are splashing away in the bathtub, each with Santa beards of bubbles?

No comments:

Post a Comment