Sunday, December 11, 2011

Life as a Robot

Another day draws to a close. We’re all thinking of last minute things to do before Bob and I head for the plane ride home. This is a little tougher adios for me because the next visit has not been set. I don’t have a new date to view. This will be the first Christmas I have without my daughter at my side. Do I hear any sniffles or sobs?

The boys couldn’t be cuter. Just one giggle and they’ve captured my heart. I beam down at these little faces so proud to be a grandmother. I’ve been able to spend time with each of them on an individual basis this time. I love to glimpse at their problem solving and desire for attention. The little clowns do make me laugh, although writing down the incidents would not appear slightly amusing to any other.

Our pile of gifts to wrap is miraculously growing despite Bob’s effort with tape and tags. He is also guilty of purchasing “just one more thing” so no blame is cast my way. One slight hint of something nice and I hit the computer. Our distance is somewhat the factor.

We couldn’t be more proud of our daughter. We have been blessed to watch her grow into a remarkable wife and mother. Being the wife of an active service person is not an easy task. Yet she somehow is inspired to make wonderful homemade gifts, decorate her home with new traditions and make delicious home-cooked meals. The show-off even made fresh pasta this evening. Yum! Martha Stewart would be proud. We got to see her play bells at her church. Multiple members confided of Stephanie’s excellence as a wife and mom, while being a Christian role model to all. She works hard. Days are not always easy with two small children and a husband who works 90-hour weeks. Yet her children know of their parents’ love and devotion.

Last night we went through a drive through nativity where scenes from the Christmas story were depicted. The boys loved the lights and relished another telling of the birth of Christ. Today we went to the church that hosts Teddy’s preschool for A Trip to Bethlehem. Live llamas, goats and chickens captured their attention. We saw angels, shepherds and not nice Roman guards. We tasted yummies and made a crystal napkin ring in the marketplace. I was so proud of Teddy’s knowledge of the real Christmas when we found that some clarification was in order. As we drove from his pre-school, Teddy asked if we could now go see the “other Jesus from last night.” We’ll work on that.

However, it’s about time to return home. It’s growing harder to get in the van (a hoist is on call) and my bones are creaking a little louder (ok neighbors can hear then seven blocks away). I’ve worked hard to at least pretend to eat partially healthy as I dream of days with less flab. My days have been without narcotics despite some difficult times. My daily naps are still needed as I strive to refresh my body. Stephanie can tell as vertigo begins to creep into my body for my moves become stiff and my walk becomes almost robotic. But I wouldn’t change a thing. I adore my roles of wife, mother and Nanny. Life is very good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
     -  My grandsons adore robots so I must be pretty sweet to have their movements down pat. Wow! Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment