Friday, August 26, 2011

Wiggling Toenails Save the Day

I’ve been negligent in writing my blog, and I’m unsure of the reason for such a delay. My mind gets wrapped around other subjects making transitions difficult. I so enjoy and depend upon my time tapping away at the computer for it provides a freedom from many of my limitations that I run to avoid.

My health really remains pretty constant. Prayers led me to taking my “when all else fails – panic pill”. Nothing else was coming close to getting this latest wave of the migraine to the manageable phase. The tinnitus was deafening making even television impossible. The vertigo had created some unusual gymnastic flops with bruises and scrapes to verify my lack of coordination. The headache had me in tears as I rocked on the bathroom floor for too many consecutive days .

So, I popped the pill to begin a new segment of my Mighty Three lifestyle. It knocks me out for 48 hours. The sleep is not pleasant and I wake looking like I have tried to swim the English Channel. My muscles are sore for I tighten them throughout my sleep, clenching on to some invisible key to open freedom from my demons.

However, I thrilled to report that Bob and I did manage a rare episode of both being coherent at the same time for about twelve hours of bliss. The day was gorgeous as huge cumulus clouds led us on a special gift of loving relaxation. We found a few geos and actually ate at a restaurant that had menus with free, salty popcorn. A waitress actually took our order. This joint was nice! We actually ended the day holding each other’s hand in grateful prayer. The day was the type of which dreams are made. Our gait was slow and slightly staccato, but our appearance was like an average AARP couple. How I yearn to have more of those days.

Bob’s memory has continued to play tricks on him, dropping him into an unknown land of caskets and darkness. His falls are becoming more frequent, but who am I to complain. I needed his loving assistance more than once when I was “stuck” on the floor however he managed to raise me without large equipment and further embarrassment. Yet Bob is fighting an inner pain beyond that of his neuropathy. How horrifying to wake up lying on a wet floor, knowing not how you got there or where you lay. As long as my voice comforts him, we’ll keep on trudging. Our work with the Memory Clinic is still two months away.

My relationship with Christ remains strong. I try to find the hidden smiles amidst a troubling day that He has provided for my enjoyment. I’ve been reading some fabulous books and respect our nightly devotions. Einstein is good at adding humor, particularly since I am probably the only person or living organism to sit near him as his skunk stench still drifts through the air. I look down and glimpse brightly shining toenails and remember a recent hour of indulgence. My daughter taught me that you can’t be depressed when you have bright pink toenails wiggling happy thoughts.

I’m comforted by this post for it has emptied my troubles and replaced them with comfortable thoughts. Bob and I are bless with a fabulous marriage, and I have a daughter who continues to honor her folks. She called to inform me that today she asked Teddy who had made him so smart. He quickly replied God, a wonderful answer providing me with a sense of “Woo Hoo!” She continued by quizzing him on who made him so smart. His fast response was “Nanny!” Yep, life is good.

Way God Uses Chronic Pain to Define Life is Good:
- When you are stuck on the floor and can’t get up, you can still look at bright toenails and remember life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment