Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lots of "Stuff"

I’m surrounded by “stuff” that reminds me of the love and support that cushions a poor day. I think that is partially why my home is accumulated with too many things. I joke that my daughter will kill me if she has to clean out all this stuff after I die. She never smiles at that joke. I wonder why.

I’ve always managed to remember how I became the owner of such a plethora of things. They’re now carefully arranged in order to be in full view during times that I feel my worst for they serve as inspirations as they remind me of my good fortune. I read an article suggesting I should take photos of these prized possessions, for a picture (downloaded upon a computer) takes far less room than the items they represent. I’ve recently worked hard to say “goodbye” to countless items that have been stuffed in drawers or packed in brown cardboard boxes, however I know a stranger could easily fill dozens of dumpsters with the paraphernalia that fills my home.

As I gaze around my family room, I see many of those items that transform this room into a real “family” room. My fluffy Cubs blanket, carelessly draped over a chair, was purchased when Stephanie and I were frozen solid during a serious attempt of qualifying the Cubs for a World Series play-off. They didn’t make the final cut, but I still treasure my blanket. Bob’s using one of his favorite glasses; ones that came with Icee’s he purchased with Stephanie. They advertise that virtual farming that takes a great deal of his time, but also manages to distract him from some of his pain. I spot a rubber duck across the room that my youngest grandchild clutched during a recent visit to my home. Next to that are Lego’s, blocks used by my oldest grandson during playtime with me. That boy sure loves to sprawl the blocks across the floor while making towers and bridges. (Please don’t picture me later standing from that floor because it is not a pleasant sight.) Photos surround me of memories etched in my heart. I can hear the giggles of certain young boys precious beyond words. Next to me are two cloth napkins left over from a gourmet dinner. (We ordered pizza, but at least had to go pick it up ourselves.) My daughter urged me to grab a few colored napkins in our attempts to add some green to our lifestyles. My Christmas nutcrackers, gifts from an extravagant husband who supports me in ways no one will ever realize, peek out of the glass door of the curio so “we” can get eye contact.

I know our cleaning lady shudders at so many of our “treasures”, but they won’t be going anywhere as long as I can help it. When my body is sending messages of ouch, I try to focus on one of these items filling my home and heart. I don’t endorse these figures as things that totally eradicate all discomfort in less than 28 seconds, but they do lessen that ache that otherwise pulls at my heartstrings. I can’t imagine my life without some of these props.

I hope your home has “stuff” crammed into corners. Let memories wash over you when life puts up some hurdles. It’s amazing the strength hidden in your “treasures”.

Way God Uses Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
- He gives me more time to gaze upon stuff and recall life’s goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment