Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mission Impossible

Thanks Chris for today’s loving reminder to continue writing out my thoughts and feelings. This blog remains my baby and allows me to masquerade as some award-winning author. I continue to dream of publishing just one short paragraph but unfortunately am unaware of any publisher to whom I can bribe, beg or plead. More importantly, without me realizing, these posts serve as a release of my inner feelings and emotions. They’re a distraction to my pain. I float above any unfortunate circumstances and coast to my laptop to relay my latest antics.

Today was the annual Mission Fair at my church; an opportunity for the various boards to communicate the great things accomplished by their dedicated members as well as plead for additional workers. I somehow was chosen by our Stephen Leaders to hawk our ware. I wrote some trivia questions that provided some humor and brought curious people over to our table when I celebrated correct answers. I’m surprised and even slightly shocked that my introverted personality and shy demeanor could pull off the performance. At a back, corner table, large felt hearts laid waiting for church members to write their personal mission. Although this simple and straightforward assignment sounded easier than my goofy trivia, I paused when presented with my green heart. What is my “mission” and how could that possibly defined?

Were we to write our daily goals in life or our elevated lifetime aspirations of peace on earth, good will to men? Could it be the fake “love my enemies except for my nasty boss or Green Bay Packers” or a loftier “find the cure to cancer before Wednesday”? Most days my primary goal is to merely climb up the stairs at the end of the day in less than 42 minutes or to be able to verbalize my first name upon initial request in under 3 hours and 51 seconds. Then there are longer goals like weigh less than defensive line of the Chicago Bears. What did I want to write?

Although I’m often more than verbose, I simplified my answer to just a solitary word: pray. My mom was the perfect model of a person who exemplified the use of prayer. She truly lived by the Biblical philosophy to pray continuously. Despite the years, I miss that wonderful woman to the very bottom of my heart. Love you Momma. Anyway, I confess that I frequently tell people that I will pray for them, but I have been known to forget names or situations with 3.6 seconds. Thank goodness that with my limited social calendar, I’ve come to use some of that extra time with my hands folded. Although I don’t constantly fall to my knees in supplication to Jesus (because I am unable to stand afterwards), I have mastered the pray continuously part. The world provides me with ample topics needing the Lord’s help. Even as a church, I feel the power of prayer is often overlooked and neglected. I long for my meditation times to increase both quantitatively and qualitatively. I know such techniques can be powerful painkillers for many of my maladies. (I’m not sure it works on Bad Hair Days.) Prayer can and will help the needs of so many others. We just need to bother to stop and take the moment to talk with (not to) God. I’m seriously working on reducing the length of my mantras in order to actually keep my mouth closed and my thoughts focused. (Those two tasks seem like monumental miracles in and of themselves!) I want to gather with my fabulous church family and pray together – for ourselves, our friends, and yes to you, my bloggees. (I think I made up that word, but I like it.)

So, that’s my mission. Einstein’s mission is to avoid skunks and Bob is trying to avoid more doctor bills since the pile now topples over the top of his head. Stop to ponder what you would write on that green heart as your mission? Maybe you would like to come join me in prayer about it. Looks like the mission of the Cubs going to the World Series is not working this fall, but just wait until next year. Even so, life is good!

Benefit of Having Chronic Pain to Prove Life is Good:
- When I fall and can’t get up, I get to use the opportunity for increased prayer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment