Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Lights Flashing Outside Our Home

I apologize for the delay in this blog. A short but mighty storm hit the suburbs early on Monday morning. Multiple houses in the neighborhood are still cutting down fallen trees. Amidst the sounds of the saws, you hear generators roaring at every house. We have been without power since early on Monday morning. Since it is now Wednesday afternoon, the novelty of our escapades is dwindling. We are glad the temperature cooled in the evening. These 90 degree days have us all wilting. Anyway, with no power, I am lacking internet. That provides me with multiple blogs stored away in my brain. Anyhow, on with the fire.

An ember must have dropped down to the carpet. Flames were multiplying as I stood there using the side of our wooden microwave cart to feed their hunger. Another dropped and began additional flames. I threw on more water while praying repeatedly, “Help me God. Keep us safe!” What seemed like hours later, but had to be mere minutes, the flames were out. I kneeled down check under the cart only to see some starting up again under the cart. Didn’t they get the idea! Why did they keep starting Here came the water brigade again. I continued on the carpet for about two feet from the cart. I picked up the phone with my poor little heart about thumping away.

As I talked, I opened the doors to the cart and smoke billowed out. Let’s just say that cart still has four inches of water floating inside! By then, Bob was down. He was smart enough to unplug the power strip and stop my heart from thumping right out of my body. When I told the wonderful man on the phone that the flames were out and we both were standing together, he turned off the siren. Since it was an electric fire in a home structure, he wanted to call the fire department.

Back up the stairs I went to turn on the outside lights, open the door and find something slightly more appropriate to slip on than my old nightgown. These men were ready to risk life and limb, I did not need to scare them to death seeing me in my present attire. Feeling more presentable in a pair of sweats and sweater, I made it to the front door in time to see two police cars dash past our house. Yes, I said past our house. I opened the door and hurried outside, gesturing for either them to come back of a Boeing 757 to land on our drive. By then they had slowed. They no sooner had their vehicles in reverse, and the first of the fire engines rounded the corner. The key word in that last sentence was “first” for within minutes, we had seven large firetrucks, four more police cars and two ambulance trucks all lined up to help. Lights were flashing, sirens screeching, dozens of emergency workers were all ready to come to our aid.

We waited outside while the professionals carefully examined our home for any other areas on concern. Luckily, they found none. We were allowed to go to our family room around 4:00 AM and wait for the fire inspector to make further decisions. He worked an additional hour and finally allowed us access to our home. Bob was really tired by then while I was so wired, it appeared like I had been downing those energy drinks by the gallon.

When he finished at 5:00 AM, he informed us of our good luck. Another few minutes and the entire basement and part of the first floor would have been engulfed. I quickly corrected him. Luck was not on our side. Instead it was God looking out for us. Bob was starting to question God’s presence in our life. It seemed that our pain had only been getting progressively worse. Were our prayers answered? The answer to that is a great big YES! God let us know that He was with us. Boy, life is good.

We both are walking around feeling truly blessed. We realize how different our lives could have been. When you head outside for an errand, make sure you kiss your spouse good-bye. Give another smooch at bedtime for you don’t know what the next eight hours will bring. Check those smoke alarms. Make sure you can hear them throughout your home. Then stop and give a little howdy to God. With his help, life is good!

Benefit of Having Chronic Pain Tell You Life is Good:
- There are many events that could be so much worse. Treasure your life how it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment