Friday, July 8, 2011

Gray is Good

I guess weekend is officially here since we’ve just passed 5 PM on a Friday. The calendar pages flip over so quickly. With Bob and I both off work, you would think that gazillion things would get accomplished each day. Instead, my To Do list remains pretty stagnant.

I dropped off some additional forms at my doctor’s today as the quest deadline for another school year listed under the disability category draws near. I typed up some reasons for this title to remain and was surprised how quickly my family members could whip up examples of how my health interferes with a teaching career. Poor attendance, risk of hurting others or myself in a fall, and possible parent disapproval of my Monkee’s walk swiftly comes to mind. I worded them carefully insuring a professional twist with the proper buzzwords and key weaknesses emphasized. Hopefully, it will do the trick. I’ll find out next week.

When I turned these sheets in to the medical staff today, I wanted to shout out that I do have some good things about me. I am great sitting in a small group with kids. My instructional skills are still intact. I’m able to teach math and reading at the primary level to students who are taller than me. I quickly love the kids and would do anything to assist them in any academic or social endeavor.

Those items weren’t on my list. It seems we so often look at things in only the black and white. I like a little gray mixed in there too. You hear all these fantastic descriptions of an individual. Only positive, superlative markings are matched to a particular politician or celebrity. Then you find out the possibility of a flaw, a minor or major one. Suddenly, all turns grim. Supporters dash for cover and are not available for comment.

As I sit on the ground to avoid an aerial disaster, I know that my teaching days, as done in the past, are over, but God willing, my work helping others still has a long road ahead. I could teach a class at a junior college. Tutoring is always a possibility. My students could be 10, but don’t rule out 3 or 71. I’m still longing to have something published. Who knows where this journalistic bend will take me? I’m ready to help grow this HEROES program and help organizations like LSSI. There’s so much more to life than Facebook and doctors’ appointments.

My path is unknown. Maybe that is good for I am always up for a challenge and ready to try new things. I know there are many options for me because my life is good.

Benefit of Using Chronic Pain to Show Life is Good:
- Time is open to explore many options. With my blurred image from falls, the lines between black and white are pretty blurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment