Sunday, May 15, 2011

Who is Your Shepherd?

We were able to make it to make it to church. Although I used the revolving door approach, leaving the sanctuary whenever the organ played, we are working hard to return to a healthy routine. My head still goes nuts with the organ’s vibrations, and the horrible vacuum of headphones worsen the impact. I loved the baccalaureate service as it shuttled multiple memories that continually washed over me in gentle waves of thought.

The sermon’s base from the book of John used the comforting parable of Jesus as the shepherd, caring for our every need. Pastor led his words to urge the congregation to know the shepherd better. We must know His voice, calls and warnings. Shifting that perspective, I ponder about the identity of our hidden shepherds. We easily listen to colorful advertisements with famous athletes encouraging our use of particular antiperspirants, insurance and painkillers. An actor from the newest thrilling drama reports the best cologne, mortgage company and retail store. We must intrinsically know the current fashion trends, music preferences and even nutritional mandates. This information should naturally meld with our souls and not require careful study. I recall the looks of shock when teachers donned a favorite sweater that had aged past its time of fashion. Vocabulary needs revisions to avoid being out of sync. Why is it fine, or more accurately vital, to follow the whispers of celebrities while the time worn pages of the Bible often lack any scrutiny? We don’t spend the same care or time with Biblical foundations as we spend pouring over the private lives of those with whose faces fill the big screen. Admit it, we spend more time watching TV or playing games on the computer than we spend reading or studying the Bible. The sheep on Farmville don’t compare with their literal brothers in the Holy Book.

Grace, a wonderful friend from church and fellow Stephen Minister, suggested a new name for my dear hubby and I. “Rock and Roll” really fits our current status. Bob uses his revised scooter to more quickly travel while avoiding walking on his no weight-bearing cast.  I fall with the gentle ease of a rock. I think this loving term might stick.

Today’s blog is just something to ponder. I readily admit that I don’t spend the care I should for my Biblical health. I pray continually and my monologue to God is quietly shifting to a dialogue, yet my pages in my Bible need to be more worn on both good and bad days. A few pages are tear stained, but most lack any true scrutiny. It would be scary to graph my time on my computer with my time with God. I pledge I will try to lean more on knowing my true shepherd.

Today’s Benefit of Having a Body with Chronic Pain:
  • My increased amount of “free time” should more easily provide time in the Bible. I have to more clearly know my shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment