Sunday, May 8, 2011

I'm a Mom

What a nice and relaxing Mothers’ Day. The entire day was simple and exactly what I wanted. The night before, Stephanie Skyped and allowed me to open my presents early. She sent a darling 31 bag with caricatures of Teddy and Ollie. Underneath these pictures, it states, “I’m a grandma!” a common quote I daily, um hourly proudly state. I also got a small book of photos of my favorite subjects. You can figure out on your own the identity of the people pictured. She also gave me my new pearl for my add-a-bead necklace. I’m amazed at the amount of pearls that now wrap around my neck. What a fabulous tradition that started so innocently when I was a single mom, before I realized that the cost of pearls would skyrocket.

Bob later presented me with a classy pedometer for use with my triathlon training. Even better than that he told me that he was proud of my daily efforts to improve my physical condition. He has seen me arrive home after struggling to finish my daily quota and then spend the evening trying to ignore a growing migraine or reposition my body to ease aches and pains. He understands the tough battle of my silly triathlon. AND he is proud of me!  What a wonderful gift right there.

Today, Bob and I continued a lengthy Scrabble game, in which I am kicking his tush. We just spent some quiet time together, a valued treasure to all relationships out there. It was nice to see some smiles cross my husband’s face. They have been far too few and too infrequent for a long time.

After a quick stop to pick up some items needed by Bob, we headed to a local winery for a special wine and cheese event. We were each able to choose three wines and three cheeses to enjoy along with warm breadsticks, fruit and one of the best chocolate truffles I have ever had the chance of enjoying. It was a wonderful hour spent in a relaxing location with no phones, no computers, and no TV’s. I would highly recommend it to others. I know it won’t be our last time there.

So I sit back now, content and comfortable. It was a perfect day because of the wonderful family who somehow manage to love me everyday. Moms can compare length of labor, hours of nausea and moments of hormonal overload. I could maybe even win in a few of those categories, but the end result is truly a gift from God. Then, an additional blessing came my way through a son-in-law who is a perfect fit for our family followed by my two darling grandsons who allowed my precious daughter to join the ranks of motherhood.

So, a quiet day is almost complete and I now I simply sit reviewing the past 24 hours. I’m known in my church to repeatedly proclaim, “I’m a grandma.” I must also remember to even louder announce, “I’m a mom.” Life is good!

Today’s Advantage of Living with Chronic Pain:
  • Life slows me down enough to relish my blessings of motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment