Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Equal Time for All Three

I'm not sure how best to blend all of my personal feelings about the last few days. I’ve continued to battle the pains associated with the conditions that daily plague my body. I’ve devoted long hours, especially during these past months, to learn techniques and methods meant to help me deal with all that is connected with The Mighty Three and beyond. None of that helped!

Let me start with my wonderful sister and brother-in-law stopping by on Saturday. It was great to see them since they reside about three and a half hours away. We gathered in our new kitchen to catch up on grandkids and grandsons and a soon to come grandchild and then ended with our grandbabies. We even got to Skype a new addition. The scariest part of the afternoon was when the hubbies began a side conversation about the best locations for ridiculously humongous hamburgers. You know the kind. They’re delivered with business cards of local cardiologists right underneath piles of French fries. My husband was totally aghast to learn that his brother-in-law had never consumed a White Castle’s hamburger. Off I flew to remedy that situation. We only serve the finest at our home.

Since Einstein also had a few fries along with his food, he soon requested an excursion through the neighborhood. The temperature was comfortable, but slight drizzle continually to fall. It came along with some wind well known in Chicago, but it hardly broke any records. It did break me though.

Wind is one of the triggers for my vertigo. As soon as I set foot across my threshold, my weaving became pretty apparent to my family members. I tried to slide inside but needed the help of our door to the garage to keep my vertical. I thought that people were too busy with their conversations to notice that my eyeballs were rattling around in my head. No such luck! One glance at my brother-in-law showed his quiet concern. I am a person with vertigo. I can’t deny this or pretend that I can bury it deep inside. I can’t pop a pill and make it go away. I can’t schedule times with and without vertigo. I wobble. I can’t stand up. I lose control.

On Monday, the stuttering was in full force. It is starting to seem that each of my maladies feel deserving of a National Day in recognition of power and stealing control. I couldn’t get my words out. I had no control. My disability was pretty darn obvious and was constraining me from working. It’s hard to lose control and be different from others. It’s hard dealing with The Mighty Three. Although they are not readily apparent if I’m viewed on a good day while I am seated, watch out for days like this blog is describing. I have a hidden handicap with the strength of our recent tornadoes and floods.

Today was one of those days when my migraine decided that it needed some attention also. I wanted some hole to swallow me up as long as it was dark and quiet. I had fabulous plans but that didn’t mean diddle. Forget my Y class. Hold the laundry. Trips to anywhere were off. At least I didn’t fall down when I sat still.

A trip to the grocery store was not the wisest decision I have ever made, but my husband and I have grown to like eating. Although we were not there long, there are lots of times my body must turn while walking the aisles in search of supplies. The visually stimulating environment was one that Mayo warned was one of the hardest. I asked for help putting groceries in the car and was glad to see my vehicle parked in the garage. I needed the help of narcotic medications that were forbidden just a few weeks ago. I didn’t even care. I just had to stop this spiral causing lack of control. I challenge you to go to the grocery store without turning your head or body. It doesn’t work.

After resting, I managed to head to the Y for twenty laps in the pool about 6 PM. Now, lots of people like to stop off for some exercise right after work and kids have lessons to learn how to swim. The pool was crowded which means extra noise and splashing. Neither of those things is good for The Mighty Three. Since other individuals were there to see the famous triathlete, I even needed to share my swim lane. I could almost hear the music of impending doom like on the movie Jaws.

Things were going relatively well until . . . The Splash. I have noticed these last few weeks that I can’t get water in both ears at the same time or the vertigo gets extreme. That’s what happened. Once I got splashed, my body decided to go in wobble mode. That’s pretty horrible in the water. Remember that vertigo is hard to hide. Instead of just crossing the lane line while walking, I knocked against the lane markers. Then I flipped and forgot which way was up or down. I thought the lifeguard was going to go into shock. He could tell it wasn’t a seizure, but he was unsure of what was happening with me. I quickly left the pool. I kind of left it in shame despite my usual self-assured manner.

Walking Einstein tonight continued to be tough. To get right to the point, I zigged and zagged. The warm and humid night was not what my overly tired body needed. I totally lost my balance and control resulting in a close examination of the grass and tree bark.

I made it home. Although The Mighty Three are having a party right now, tomorrow will be better. I long to walk in a straight line without my head pulsing to some unheard Latin beat. I will hide from the wind and keep both ears covered with Seran Wrap. I will overcome. My nightly prayers will be earnest, honest and open. I will try to listen for I know life is good.

Benefit of Having a Blog and The Mighty Three:
  • You write more when The Mighty Three are visiting which gives your readers plenty to attempt to decipher.

No comments:

Post a Comment