Thursday, May 19, 2011

Walking My Pooch

I just got home from an extended walk with my pooch. My aim was to merely take a short stroll around the block that normally takes about ten minutes. Instead, my little adventure took close to an hour AND I didn’t even fall down.

First, our weather has finally taken a Chicago change. The gray and gloomy sky is momentarily absent. We have had so much rain lately; even my dog is growing webbed feet. I thought that I saw Noah moving in down the street. The additional animals should be very interesting. The warmer temperatures are not coming alone for the humidity level is zooming to join the space shuttle Endeavour.

Back to my walk, I ran into (please don’t take that literally) several neighbors really needing a time to share. One neighbor has lived in her home for sixteen years and her children have finally reached an age to be considered adults. However, her home will go on the market tomorrow as the dissolution of her 30-year marriage is evident. Long kept hurts and lengthy unemployment created stress that can quickly crack even the longest of marriages. My neighbor desperately needed a time to vent, and I walked by at just the right time. Einstein was the best-behaved dog I have ever seen as he actually patiently waited for our conversation to wane.

Turning the corner, I saw the sister of a darling woman who lives down the street. The neighbor’s younger sister, a remarkable 80 years old, came to town to care for her older sibling. Two large tumors needed to be removed, so her family came rushing to the scene. The visiting sister has some obvious medical and physical concerns of her own. You can almost feel the rhythm of the pain as you walk by.

How unusual to see two different family units: one breaking into two while another has two coming into one. We never know precisely what’s going on behind closed doors and brick walls. I don’t think any life is carefree and without concerns. Our weather here alone should prove that this is not paradise. We are not the only home in Chicagoland that has some sort of difficulties and hurdles to leap. It all depends on how we deal with those problems as well as whom we go to for help.

I’m making a quick stop at the local Jewel today to purchase two bouquets of flowers. Both households where I lingered to converse could use a small token reminding them that people outside their walls care for them. God might have sent me a bonk on the head to let me know there are other people in this universe who also have ailments. I’m not totally unique, at least when it comes to aches and pains. When you look around, there are many others who could use that bouquet of flowers, time to talk, or a batch of homemade brownies. (I’m a little hungry; can you tell?) The slow walk did me good too!

Benefit of Having Chronic Pain and the Mighty Three:
  • You have time during the day to talk with neighbors needing a few moments of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment