Sunday, September 18, 2011

Looking for a Flying Star

We made it home safe and sound after ten days out east. Our days were busy as I tried my best to jam pack as many memories as I could into ten days.

Chris tried to find unique places for Bob to eat, and I think he succeeded plus some. One local sandwich shop specialized in the Thanksgiving Dinner sandwich. It comes complete with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and cranberries on a thick roll with gravy available for dipping. The two also ate a Crazy Burger. Instead of a bun, a Krispy Cream doughnut is sliced and grilled. Add cheese and bacon to the cardiologist card and you get this culinary delight. I wanted a salad.

Speaking of fatty foods, ham comes to mind. That is a word that undoubtedly describes my youngest grandson. He is unable to be disciplined by grandparents because he makes us laugh – and he knows it. His antics should be part of daily YouTube videos that quickly would go viral. No child can roll his eyes or swish his tail feathers any better.

My favorite memory was Thursday evening. Christopher had duty meaning he worked from 6:00 AM Thursday morning to 5:00 PM Friday night. Stephanie had a Thirty-one party that evening, so we got the kids. Bob made popcorn that we all ate in the family room while watching TV. Bob and I got to experience Jake and some pirates. The best memory of the entire trip was later that night. Both boys went to bed while I laid on their bedroom floor. We started the sleep-in by reading our books. When their bedroom light clicked off, Ollie was asleep but Teddy wasn’t ready for the evening to end. So I laid there and told a story of two wonderful boys coincidentally named Ollie and Teddy who went fishing with their Dad and Poppy. Magical fish granted them each a wish. My strange creative juices were flowing while Teddy giggled as he helped add to the tale.

On the last Friday there, we went for lunch right on a Connecticut wharf. Bob loved watching the fishing boats coming into the docks while the boys loved the trains whizzing by. Seating was only outside, but the cooler weather seemed to fit in the New England atmosphere. Life is good. That night, we managed to also attend the Big E – the state fair for six of the New England states. There were lots of animals to pet: goats, llamas, horses, pigs and chicks. Teddy got to even milk a fake cow, go on two rides, and pick one of those plastic ducks that swim in a small tin circle. While at the fair, I should have counted the number of times “fried” appeared on concession trailers. Some of the more unique fried foods were Oreos, jelly beans, Kool-Aid and get this, butterballs. Yuck! The fun of a fair was definitely in the air with colored lights from stands and rides.

On the way to the car, Teddy noticed a “flying star”. I didn’t quite understand what he meant until I trusted him and looked up. A plane was flying low in the night sky. Those twinkling lights were perfect for making a wish. I will be looking up a lot now.

I can’t help fearing that my disability negatively impacts my role as Nanny. Although Stephanie strongly disagrees, my persistent goal is always to improve for my boys. My disabled and bent body quickly tires when little boys want to wrestle and climb. My slow pace prevents long walks in parks. However, plop me on the floor in a darkened room and let my mouth loose. I can talk. I can tell tales. I can make little boys the heroes of homemade stories. Life is good.

In the past, Teddy has had a tough time saying goodbye to Nanny. While at the Big E, cash quickly disappears for a small family. I showed Teddy my empty wallet. The next morning, I provided two very reasonable reasons to return to my home. Nanny needed to check on Einstein and get money. I later heard him confide to his Mom my dire traits and need to hurry home and find money.

The trip was what I needed. I love that family more than I ever dreamed feasible. I would do anything to insure their health and happiness. I thank God that we were able to visit their home to show them the definition of unconditional love.

God Uses Chronic Pain to Help Prove Life is Good:
- Our trip to paradise (no, change that to pair a grandsons) is not limited to vacation days from work. We can experience “Life is Good” 365 days a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment