Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Birthday Chris

It’s my son-in-law’s birthday today. We’re blessed to have such a marvelous young man join our family. I’m trying hard to avoid many of the mother-in-law pitfalls, but nagging and interfering come so easily to me.

My son-in-law is a Naval officer. I’m so proud of this important accomplishment. He serves aboard submarines, and I’ve been privileged to see some of these boats, so vital in maintaining American freedoms. My son-in-law’s job is to keep the United States safe and represent us as he journeys throughout the seas. That sentence is still so insurmountable to me.

I felt so privileged as we toured his last boat. I can easily tell you without breaking any American security that this vessel is not spacious. I can’t imagine how those enlisted men sleep in such tight quarters that make childhood bunk beds look like king-sized mattresses. Personal storage is under the metal frame, everything folded and compacted in order to fit inside this miniscule space. Forget comfy slippers and a nice, cuddly robe. There isn’t even anywhere to put extra shoes.

The kitchen is a hoot. How in the world meals are prepared in this small cubicle. Food must be packed by means of an assembly line. There’s not some big door on the side to drive in after grocery shopping. Talk about organization. Everything must be carefully stowed to avoid falling once underway.

I think I got my officer a little nervous as my rackety body went down the ladders to get aboard and travel from floor to floor. I was just glad that I didn’t get stuck in the hatch. Couldn’t you see me going out to sea with my legs dangling away? Walking on top of the sub got me nervous too. I can’t fathom the men relaxing while diving off the top of the sub and relaxing in the sunshine.

When I was taking the tour of his last boat, I saw Chris’ signature from past rounds. Tears rimmed my eyes. I don’t think he can ever realize the pride I feel. I wanted to shout out, “Hey! This is my son-in-law’s name. You better be good.” I decided that it was better to keep these opinions to myself.

When he is saluted, pride just bubbles inside me. Even when Stephanie drives through the gate, the guards must salute. I feel so special when these dapper gentlemen (with guns) salute. Woo Hoo!

The most significant time for me was definitely when I witnessed his boat going out to sea. A line of men stand at military rest on top of the sub while it slowly heads on it’s way. Tugboats insure a noneventful journey and armed soldiers are throughout the path. The reality of the submarine’s role in today’s military is quite obvious. The time I held Teddy when Daddy left for the unknown is forever etched in my heart. With waves of goodbye and sobs of displeasure, the stark reality made daily by military families became real.

But my Chris is so much more than a Naval officer. He’s a devoted husband and father. They create a caring, Christian home that exemplifies their love for each other. Chris is also the optimal role model for my grandsons. Besides caring for his family, he takes good care of his extended family, us. I feel comfortable confiding the serious health needs confronting Bob and I. His loving, concern is so much more than others dream about. He and Bob spend a lot of time in conversation, sharing like father and son. I feel blessed to be a frequent guest in their home. Many others would cringe and finally deny these numerous visits. When I hear the common mother-in-law jokes, I pray that I don’t fit these models. I actually try to be quiet some of the time. I love sitting back to watch the four of them in living color while thanking God for their strong union. Plus, on top of all this, Chris is even a Cub fan. Life is good!

Way God Uses Chronic Pain to Show Life is Good:
- Chris automatically comes to our rescue when chronic pain attacks our bodies. Thank you God for providing Chris as our son-in-law. Happy birthday honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment