Friday, June 10, 2011

Keep on Moving

Time continues to fly at an even more accelerating rate. I’m finding that my exciting creations and ideas fit comfortably in my head as I lounge on the couch with exaggerated calm. The feeling of laziness is coming to envelope me more and more. I kind of like the sensation.

My daughter’s family flew in on Wednesday. The boys are fabulous and could entertain me for hours. Their simple joy of being alive needs to be modeled more often. My daughter managed to have lunch with Teddy’s godmother and then throw a wedding shower in the evening. They were out in their usual whirlwind this morning to go celebrate life with her husband’s family. Some of the festivities will be held at the University of Illinois, which will bring about a great deal of reminiscing for she and her hubby. They can secretly envision both boys graduating from this Big Ten school, so they plan to photograph them amidst the hallowed perimeter of the quad while they are there now.

Bob and I are here to celebrate our anniversary and really notice how many factors of our lives have dramatically changed while the core fabric is slower, but much the same. The importance of family still radiates from our home as we try to instill that remarkable feeling of unconditional love to the munchkins who bring us so much laughter. Their honesty, clear outlook and exuberance have added charm to these walls. I pray that we will leave them with wonderful moments of love in their memories.

The kids will come back here for another jam-packed 36 hours. Poppy will take the eldest fishing for the first time. The little dude’s tackle box is already brimming with bobbers and lures meant to entice him into the love of being an angler. I hope to whisk my daughter quickly through some stores for needed retail therapy. Decorating cement stepping-stones is also penciled on the calendar but may be completed as we drive them back to O’Hare when their visit screeches to a halt.

Tomorrow we have training for that HEROES program, my effort at leading something with consequence for members of our Stephen Ministry program. I should be doing so much more, but my head (and heart) like this quieter version, at least for a while. My velocity has greatly slowed over my 22 years of marriage, but my mouth still jabbers just as well.

I’ll try to view life through the eyes of preschoolers. They’re down low to enjoy God’s fingerpainting of nature, be father away from adult endless gossip and worries, and not bother when they have some of life’s expected falls. They live by just popping back up and keeping moving at high speeds or perhaps at most, stop for a kiss along life’s way. Sounds like a good philosophy to me.

Ways God Reminds Me through Chronic Pain that Life is Good:
• It lets me sit back and philosophize about life through the eyes of small toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment