Monday, September 17, 2012

I Love Lewy


I’m becoming accomplished at complaining about the threats and horrors of Lewy Bodies Dementia (LBD). This disease has already crumpled my husband throughout the days and nights. It has brought us both physical and emotional turmoil as we try to become accustomed to everything that LBD has in store. I’ve written about the terror that comes as the sun sets and the nightmares begin. The hallucinations are becoming more frequent and reside within our home for longer and longer periods.

I need to include in this blog all the benefits of this unique dementia that now is attached to Bob’s medical records. Yep! I said benefits. We have had some big modifications in our relationship that need to be included in my posts. In many ways, I need to thank Lewy.

The best change has been a new action for Bob and me. Each day, we look deeply in each other’s eyes and confess our love. I’m very much afraid of the upcoming days when Bob no longer recognizes me. I’ve read if we say, “I love you” along with our names, it prolongs the amount of time Bob will know me. When he gazes in my eyes, I fall more deeply in love with this fantastic man.

We are also taking more time just being together. Some reality show comes on TV and we close the computers and just snuggle in the corner of the couch. Give me a soft blanket and I tend to fall right asleep, but at least I have happy dreams. We are letting each other know that we want to be together.

We spend time together and value each minute of it. We try to get out and at least go for walks, be it through the neighborhood or the local Home Depot. I feel like I am back in high school as we walk hand in hand, not even needing to talk to express our feelings. I’m not waking Bob during any of his zoned out episodes and instead merely take him in my arms, ready for Lewy to leave and my darling husband to return.

We are redoing our bucket lists and will work more ardently at achieving them. We plan to move up our 25th anniversary trip by one year; so watch out world, here we come. I know that traveling will be difficult for Bob, but we will plan more carefully and select a destination with purpose. We might even get some fun travels in during winter as well as another trip when the temperature rises up.

Bob and I love each other very much. We are a team and proud of it. We will face the upcoming days, both good and bad, together. We are blessed that God brought us together. Many people are wandering around, moping about their spouse or their lack of one. I’ve got my spouse, my best friend. Thank you God. Life is good.

God Uses Our Love to Prove that Life is Good
       God brought us together. We will face the future together.

No comments:

Post a Comment