Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Hunchback

Yesterday morning at my church, I was able to share my memoirs of my recent stay at Mayo. I can honestly say that the audience was held captive at my words. They were captive though because Bob blocked their exit. They were some of my dearest friends at our church; all Stephen Ministers pledged to use their caring nature with others in need.

Speaking to others is not at all difficult to me. I rambled on to describe my version of this special clinic. We then split into small groups to discuss how each person could best utilize their blessing of nurturing others.

During this “intermission”, multiple people focused on this lump that protrudes from the base of my neck. I can best describe it by using the analogy of the Humpback of Notre Dame. Multiple characteristics match our frames so much that you could almost declare him my doppelganger. I don’t mean to exaggerate so I admittedly confess that I lack his musical skills.

On our trip back from Jamaica, turbulence had altered our route into a thrilling amusement park attraction. Perhaps the pilot craved to demonstrate his superior skills behind the wheel and convey his hidden dream of becoming an Indy 500 driver. To sum it all up, following one of the bungee falls, I hurt my neck.

Once home, I used an eating, oops I mean heating, pad to help ease the discomfort. Bob also applied a topical cream to cover the mountain growing on my back. I was limited on my movements and made darling facial expressions while shifting my position. Earlier that week, I phoned my primary physician who could not see me until Tuesday. Bob became haunted with memories of his fall three years prior and convinced me that it was my turn to journey to the dreaded emergency room. Besides, it would be our first visit this month.

After 38.4 hours in the emergency room, the primary condition was labeled a cervical strain due to muscular spasms. That’s just the expensive way to state that it was no big deal. They prescribed strong medication, emphasis on the strong, which quickly had the desired affect of putting me to sleep and thus silencing my complaining mouth.

I woke for church, but Bob gently turned me around and shoved me back to bed. My customary runway walk completely veered off course. After sleeping most of the day, I sit now at my computer filling you all in on my current escapades. I have slept most of the day and doubt any Olympic gymnastic training will take place very soon.

So, we still need your prayers. Thanks for your kind words. Keep peeking at my blog to discover our new routines. With our failing memories, we won’t remember them well enough to tell you any of the details later.

Advantage of The Mighty Three:

  • You make the registrar’s day by already having all your personal information already complete on the hospital records. You get to use the fast lane while checking in.

1 comment:

  1. Always have you in my prayers!
    Glad you guys are back. Maybe I'll get to see you soon (hint, hint).
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete