Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Four Has a Nice Ring to It

This may come to surprise many of you, but I actually have a social life. I have had something scheduled for every night this week. Woo-hoo! I’m usually the one fiddling my thumbs as I am plopped on the couch. so for me to have something four nights in a row is equivalent to a solar eclipse four days in a row or me turning down a chocolate sundae four days in a row.

Sunday night was an Abraham Salon where Christians, Jews and Muslims gather together to learn more about each other. This Sunday we met in a mosque. I had never been there before and was honored with their hospitality. This is year four for us to gather. Wow – another four. I should maybe play that number on the lottery.

Monday night was WISP – Women in Search of Peace. Women of a variety of faiths gather for conversation and discourse to learn more about each other. Two wonderful women described their lives as Mormons. Their talk was so informative and each of us received a Book of Mormon. We are all reaching out to learn more about each other, the faces behind the stereotypes. Any females are more than welcome to join me on the third Monday of the month.

Last night was meditation. There were ten of us who gathered for a little over an hour to learn more kinds of meditation. It’s a wonderfully relaxing way to end the day and gives credence to me working on this certification. This will be a weekly event where I am getting to know some very caring individuals.

This morning was an Ash Wednesday breakfast that has been an annual event at our church for over 40 years. Right in the midst of the meal, the fire alarm went off turning our meal more into a picnic. It could have been a REAL Ash Wednesday, but it proved to be just a false alarm. It was surely a chilly break to the gathering for the weather was cloudy and gloomy today. It might have hit 40 degrees tops. There goes another four.

Tonight was our Ash Wednesday service where I was allowed to sign for some prayers and the chanting of the Psalm. I received many kind and positive remarks afterwards for which I didn’t even have to pay. One kind woman described it as ballet with my fingers. I thought that was pretty neat. It felt so good to actually get to use what little talent that I have. Being on disability sure knocks the self-worth out of a person in a hurry and makes you feel pretty useless. It was such a wonder to turn that around.

So I spent four evenings in a row with caring individuals who want to make the world a little better. These evenings stressed the spiritual growth and love for others that is missing from many other weeks. Tomorrow I just want to stay home. There are other fun things that I could do like booking a trip to Paris or writing back to some of my adoring fans of this blog, but we could only afford a trip to Paris, Illinois and so far, none of my fans have written me. Instead I will be thankful for all of the blessings that God has bestowed on me. Life is good!

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
      -  Even somebody like me can have a social calendar with oh my gosh, four busy nights in a row!

No comments:

Post a Comment