Sunday, November 27, 2011

Ornaments

It’s a relaxing Sunday. The Christmas tree is lit and adorned with a multitude of ornaments each filled with wonderful memories of love, friendship and the fantastic bonds of family. I see ornaments made by the hands of each member of our household. There’s even one from my fabulous nephew Ryan when he was but a lad. Prior students have either crafted some by hand or purchased them with love.

I still have a small ornament from 1982. It’s just a small box of grapes with a holiday greeting, but it’s one of the ornaments that mean the most. I still remember when it was pressed in my hands by a special mom of one of my delightful developmentally delayed students. She urgently whispered, “This is from Angela Antonacci, Mario Antonacci’s mother.” I didn’t whisper back that I only had one Mario Antonacci. I just smiled inside; much like the smile I have 29 years later.

I always hand a purple toothbrush on my tree. One year Julie, another fifth grade teacher, joined me in holiday shopping for needy children. We were shocked to see listed next to one child’s name the honest request for a mere toothbrush. The profound sense of need and greed slapped against our souls that day. We purchased a toothbrush, but we placed it upon one of many other Christmas packages. We also bought enough toothbrushes for every member of our classrooms, along with ourselves. They were sent home with a brief description of its symbolism. We hoped it would be a reminder of the true meaning of Christmas giving. It is for me!

Probably my favorite ornament is a good-sized dark green wreath, molded in resin. It’s not fancy, and it doesn’t represent some beautiful Christmas story. It’s just a plain green wreath with a red bow and a few scattered berries. Bob and Stephanie gave it to me for our first Christmas as a family. Bob had taken Stephanie shopping at the mall with grand ideas of Hallmark happiness. It ended up that they got kicked out of the Hallmark store for a heated exchange of which ornament would be the best for me. Stephanie won! Shockers! Even so, it undoubtedly is one of the least gorgeous ornaments upon the tree, but it depicts the strong love of a new family and the dreams of a wonderful man to make the Christmas of 1989 the best possible for his new wife and daughter.

It took me forever to finish placing many of our holiday ornaments upon the tree. Each ornament was wrapped in that bubble wrap and paper, cleaned this summer by the restoration crew after our fire. I also don’t move very well. The majority of ornaments ranges from an easy arm’s reach when perched upon a stool to shoulder height when I was standing. Bending brings on vertigo, so it is highly discouraged in our home. What really slowed progress was taking time to quietly reminisce about each decoration that now proudly hangs upon our tree!

Today is the first day of Advent. Use these days to prepare your heart. Find your memories and begin new traditions. Merry Advent everyone.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove Life is Good
     -  My chronic pain slows down my movement, thus giving me more time to examine each memory from my heart. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment