Friday, November 18, 2011

Medical History

The colder weather has swirled around our home reminding us of the calendar changes. I’ve written before about my preference for balmy weather and my limited temperature range of liking. I complain about the weather so well; I should be proud that I found something where I excel.

We have survived our two weeks of whirlwind doctor appointments. We have had eight visits to physicians in the past dozen days. Forget about that eating apples stuff to ward off doctors. I love apples, but I am no stranger to doctors. I wonder what would happen if I didn’t eat apples. Pretty scary stuff!

My appointment today was with my pain doctor. We discussed my trial with my neurostimulator. I’ve found that this device helps out during the late night hours. My sleep pattern lengthened. I still woke up with discomfort in my hips, but I could actually roll over with relative ease. I didn’t need to grab onto the blankets and make faces more appropriate for viewing scary movies or looking in the mirror in the morning.

My next step is to begin my appointments with the same doctor who performed the surgeries on Bob PI, post ice. When my pain doctor asked if I had heard of this physician, both my husband and I grinned like toddlers viewing a Christmas tree early on the morning of December 25th. We owe a great deal to this doctor, luckily not the green stuff that quickly disappears from our checking account. I met this surgeon in the emergency room right after Bob fell. I was always impressed by the amount of time he spent explaining options, procedures and test results to me. He actually would bring me bananas or the beloved apples to eat while I talked outside Bob’s ICU room. When we saw him last month for a check-up for my darling husband, a sense of relief and hope washed over both of us. We both have total faith in this doctor who got us through some very delicate weeks.

How blessed Bob and I are. There are wonderful physicians with microscopic specialties working close to our home. Bob saw a neuro-ophthalmologist on Wednesday.  Say that fast five times. We have seen our primary physician, a devoted doctor who has come to know us better than maybe we know ourselves. You should see the size of our files. We joke that Bob and I must fill in a complete file cabinet drawer all by ourselves. We don’t quite see the benefit of the computer’s memory when we watch a nurse try to heft one of our files down the hall. We also got to see two different physiologists. Bob needs two because he is so special. I bet that most of you reading can’t easily define the role or benefit of a physiologist. I bet that most days we can’t either. Last week I saw my pulmonologist. Bob sees a different pulmonologist in the same office. We started this doctor marathon with Stephanie when we had our family conference with a neurologist explain the testing results of a neuropsychologist who specializes in brain injuries. I can understand why our health insurance representatives must cringe when they notice our name come across their computer screens.

I was thrilled that we had no scheduled doctor appointments for the rest of November. When you add the two weeks when we will be visiting my daughter’s family during the beginning of December, I could break into some of my old disco moves. (I don’t think I mean that literally, but you can picture me shaking and moving if you want a good laugh.) The whole medical community might go in shock if we are MIA. This could hit the national news and create havoc with the medical economy. Four whole weeks – doctor free.

Of course, I have to get together with the surgeon about my neurostimulator. It would be great if this could happen in 2011 since I have already met my maximum out-of-pocket expenses. Can you imagine a big surgery at the hospital and we wouldn’t have to pay a dime? Hmmm. We just might have some doctor appointments after all.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
-       Just think – a whole surgery with no bills. Awesome! We might make the national news after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment