Saturday, April 27, 2013

We Trudge Along


Each step that Bob and I trudge through indicates the effort that we take in order to fit into this active world. With both of us suffering from various chronic illnesses, we can empathize with the pain endured by each other. It’s somewhat humorous when new doctors ask if either of us is on any medications or if we have had any surgeries. My zippy self wants to retort with, “Do you want this week’s or this month’s changes?” I’ve got to have a little fun.

I’m back with the kiddos at church. They continue to make me smile and remember some of the reasons God planted me on this planet. Their stark honesty and skewed perspectives remind me of the joys inherit in my day-to-day life. I can openly share my love and have it returned exponentially.

By Friday, my body reminded me that I am no longer 27. Double that and you are getting close. The nap immediately taken on my return home on Friday felt fabulous and could be indicative of those before and after photos visible in many of the tabloids. My mind still feels a little muddled and my body cries for the return of my neurostimulator. This too shall pass.

Bob has worked hard this week to complete some of those tasks he placed on his own Honey Do list. Although employers would cringe at any dollars per hour rate, a simple salary would be appropriate. We are slow. I am proud of his efforts. He obviously strives to beat Lewy but yearns to do more as he watches neighbors place mulch and wash cars. I wish I could truly let him feel the pride I have for him.

His emotions are still hard for us. Physicians have described them as part of the mood disorder associated with Lewy Bodies Dementia. Some of his medications are aimed to reduce some of the “road range” attitudes that now are part of his daily behaviors. It’s surprising to see my laid-back hubby slowly morph into some other character unknown to either of us.

For the sake of honesty and humility, I probably would not be a recipient of the Miss Congeniality award. Headaches and back pain have returned and I’m not too pleased about that. It sometimes feels like I am walking on hot sand as I try to avoid topics that are now taboo with Bob. We have been fighting our chronic illnesses for too long and are both impatient to see this regression.

Our love is still obvious as we hunker down on our personal ends of the couch. Our daily prayers are for guidance and strength. It takes about 36 minutes to walk from the family room to our kitchen. Perhaps that is why my body has rounded so I may soon be able to roll there instead of slowly plodding along the way.

Oops! I’ve returned to negative reports about my own self-image and I can hear the responses of my daughter. It’s probably my own efforts to remain upbeat and provide some humor along the way. It’s one more thing I need to work at.

That’s our week and probably our month and year and even decade. We are blessed with a strong belief in God and a strapping support system waiting for our call. We’ll be fine for we are together and determined. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment