Saturday, December 29, 2012

Watching Life Approach

I’ve been skating through these winter days, not willing to totally succumb to this latest strain of influenza but not eager to fight it off either. A week ago, I lay comatose to the world, my body inert in a darkened bedroom. Life is slowly being restored, but I’m not sure if my brain is ready for such a change. As long as I am still, I appear almost healthy, but if my body is tilted greater that three degrees, coughing racks my body. Not a pretty sight.

Bob and I have needed to take our names from participating in many wonderful activities for the past week. We only made it to our night Christmas service for all of ten minutes. Days with the grandsons just weren’t possible this year. A few hours on Christmas day brought fabulous memories our way. Parties have needed our regrets as we pretty much ignored anything on the social calendar.

We really regret that we were unable to attend a special birthday celebration today of a dear member of our congregation who is truly ninety years young. Earlier this year, he said goodbye to his dear wife. The two of them were role models of an ideal Christian couple always willing to share their love and knowledge of the Bible. So although we missed the cake and candles, we’ve tried to keep that endearing love visible in our lives.

I wonder what people think when they look at us. We’re obviously not a poster couple for any of the newest diet trends, although we would be a darling “before” shot. I don’t want to become known for any hermit trends although that would surely be easy. I would hope that glances our way are not ones of pity for God has provided us with so many blessings. Without seeming morbid, I want people to be able to witness our deep love for family in a Christian home. (Is that laughing I hear out there?)

I need to lose my narcissistic tendencies to view the world of Lewy through the eyes of a caregiver. Bob is trying to fight off the encasing bonds, and my job is to support him. When Bob is getting stressed about bills, unhappy family members or pain, Lewy sneaks up behind him and drops a trance over him. I have to admit that I need more patience. I don’t need to always be the aggressor ready to go to battle against LBD. Sometimes, I must just gently be by his side and together to watch this disease approach.

Life is good. I can’t strive for constant perfection for then I miss the wonders of a job simply well done.

God Uses This Blog to Remind Me that Life is Good
          I need to slow down for things get blurred when living in a blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment