Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Holding Us Together


I saw a wonderful quote on Pinterest that fits in well for our current situation. It states,
“At the end of the day, you can focus on what is tearing you apart or what’s holding you together.”
Since hearing the diagnosis, it’s hard to not worry about what the future hold for us. Any of the forms of dementia is that scary, cloudy future dreaded by all.

Today’s events really explain the ease of focusing on what’s wrong with life. I had a moment of utter, “Oh no, God” as soon as I opened the door into our home, there lay my husband sprawled on the kitchen floor. I dropped what I was carrying and rushed to his side. He was unresponsive. It took 5 hours, or perhaps 5 seconds, to finally assure myself that he was breathing.

It’s not unusual for Bob to be so far glued into Lewyhood that he can’t be disturbed. No matter the pushing or shoving or shouting, he shows no reaction and instead sits silently staring into nowhere or in this case, lying extremely still on the floor. I frequently have stared at my daughter, searching for an answer, a positive suggestion on what to do next.

I was scared. I was worried. I was confused. I knew not what to do. The world really seemed to stand still waiting for some reaction by Bob. There was a sacred stillness in the air. Despite all of the emotions that were racing through my heart, I felt a comfort and sense of peace that can only come from above. I was not alone.

Bob finally started to stir. It took some time, but we finally got him to a vertical position. We made it to the couch as I was giving thanks to the Lord. I left church feeling sure that I would head to the Y for my previous yoga classes. While driving, a severe migraine took residence in my head. Seeing Bob on the floor only heightened the pain level. So forget the Y, head to bed and try to just live. Well, maybe I am exaggerating a wee bit.

So after a nap, we were all doing better. I still have a migraine and I’m trying to balance what is happening in my head. Bob fixed diner, but his brain is trying to settle. Lewy has been shaking away, finding humor in Bob’s confusion. So we are better than in the afternoon, for we have ripped Lewy away. We won this time and made life so very, very good.

God Uses This Blog to Prove that Life is Good
      With God’s guidance, we beat Lewy.

No comments:

Post a Comment