Thursday, October 11, 2012

Lewy Sneaks In


I wonder what happens in my home when I’m not here. I’m not referring to the antics of our pooch, for Einstein leaves clues of his misdeeds. I joke with my grandsons that their own dog has a party complete with paper hats and balloons. I know that Einstein is aging just like us and prefers to spend much of his time snoozing away on our family room couch.

In this instance, I was wondering how often Lewy comes to try to rule our roost. While I was talking with my sister on the phone, I could tell that my husband’s eyes were appearing glazed and his body frozen while seated on the couch. Lewy had snuck in while I lost my guarded stance. It had silently crept to my Bob and covered his body in a tight hold. I went to his side and quietly held him in my arms as I whispered encouragements and words of love. There I stood until this finally passed. I had promised to be with Bob to fight this dreaded disease, but I realize that Bob often must do this battle alone.

It scares me. I worry how frequently Lewy takes claim over Bob while I am not home. I worry that my sweetie must most certainly topple on the couch or slouch on his computer while alone. It breaks my heart. Guilt washes over me as I worry that my husband should have more support. How dare Lewy come and clutch Bob’s brain. What can I do to provide a constant team approach?

The new medicine has still tremendously helped Bob. Since starting this medication, the night terrors have been reduced to mere bad dreams when Bob is asleep late in the night. If he falls asleep during the day, those awful dreams still control his body. The hallucinations are reduced meaning animals no longer fill our living room. Despite these great results, our insurance still refuses to pay claiming limited proven success with these pills. We’ll continue to pay out of pocket, but it infuriates me that those in the insurance field make such major medical decisions without the training of our doctors. Oh well. At least, Bob has these pills to help him rid Lewy from his soul.

I wish I knew how to be the best wife for my darling throughout this Lewy Bodies Dementia struggle. I want to block its path into our home, marriage and lives. I still see him frozen today, leaning to the right as his eyes stare into Lewyland. I just want Lewy to leave.

We will fight this together and work to continue to scream that life is good.

God Uses Our Love to Prove that Life is Good
        Even when we are not physically together, our love keeps us bound together.

No comments:

Post a Comment